Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Week 11 Life

My turtle has been doing well, but the water tank has been turning somewhat green. The water seems to be dirty and I didn't know why at first. I went to Petco to ask what might be the problem. I spoke with a girl working in the fish tank department as she said that my tank was probably going through a water cycle. I had no idea what a water cycle was! She explained that the water needs to build up bacteria to turn the fish poop into a different molecule that isn't harmful to the fish. It could take up to two to four weeks to cycle through to produce the correct bacteria and balance my water.

I thought this was so interesting. I had no idea fish tanks usually all go through this cycle. I had always thought the water would just stay clear because of the filter, but that's not the case. It's living bacteria responsible for the care and maintenance of my turtle and fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment