Saturday, March 26, 2016

Week 10 Life Alfredo Sauce Recipe

One of my favorite things learned in culinary school was how to make sauces. I feel like jarred sauces are too pricey, contain too much sodium and personally have me burping all night. Homemade sauce is, in my opinion, the best way to go for any tomato or cream sauces.

My friends wanted to make some pasta the other night, but they didn't have any sauce to use. I asked if they had milk and flour, since that's all you need to make a simple béchamel sauce. They did. Since they also had Parmesan, I made for them what I will present to you, Alfredo sauce.




The unfortunate thing about sauces is that it's hard to keep an even consistency. Working with milk is the tough part. Milk tends to scorch and especially when using a roux. It tends to break, milk solids separate, and it leaves you with powdery flakes of milk.


The recipe I'm using does not call for a roux. For a thicker consistency, make a quick blonde roux and let it cool on the side. I added it to the sauce in small increments, while stirring until a thick constancy is reached. Try not to make it too thick because the cheese thickens up the sauce. Make sure the sauce isn't too hot when adding the cheese. This could separate the milk solids in the cheese and leave gross white specks that ruin the sauce's beauty. I've ruined many sauces due to my impatience. Please, let it cool before adding the cheese. 

If done right, you'll come out with one of the best sauce you've ever tasted. Plus, it's always impressive to make a sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment